Graham Florist “Flowers of Distinction”
- dchistory
- Jun 4
- 4 min read
In the Fall of 1925 news reaches Washington that Robert C. Graham Sr. was adding a new division to the local Graham Farms, that being the business of a modern, full-time greenhouse. The October 16, 1925 edition of The Washington Herald contained a front-page story headlined “WASHINGTON TO GET NEW INDUSTRY, ROBERT GRAHAM WILL CONSTRUCT HOTHOUSE”. The article goes on to list detailed information “…The new industry will begin with a single unit measuring 150 X 30 feet but will be strictly up to date and have its own up-to-date heating plant that can be expanded to meet any needs and accommodate any number of new units. The estimated cost of the structure was put at $7,000, but this is just the initial outlay, as the business increases and the market widens, new units will be added from time to time until Mr. Graham expects to have one of the largest and finest greenhouses in southern Indiana.”
Francis C. Stoddard, a master grower from Detroit arrived the first week of November. He was hired by Mr. Graham to oversee the construction and operation of the business. Mr. Stoddard had recently been on an information gathering tour of the most modern and efficient greenhouses in the mid-west. The tenant house on the Graham estate is remodeled to accommodate Mr. Stoddard and his new bride. He will be in charge of all aspects of the day-to-day operation of “Graham Florist”, the new business’s name.


Contracts are awarded for immediate construction of the greenhouse. Local Washington contractor John Kretz is engaged to lay the necessary foundations of the buildings and construct the service building. The actual glasshouse and framework were built by the American Greenhouse Manufacturing Company of Chicago. Construction proceeds rapidly and an official opening date is set for December 5, 1925. Due to last minute fundamental design changes, including changing the heat source for the boiler from coal to a more modern oil burning system and the design of the forty-five-foot smokestack changed from square to round, the official opening is delayed until December 21st approximately eight weeks after the initial announcement. Graham Florist will become a member of the “Say it with Flowers” organization of greenhouses that would later become known as FTD.
Opening day four days before Christmas 1925, the greenhouse is described as follows: “The glass unit is decorated in Christmas colors with streamers, baskets…with cheery greetings and handshakes the general hospitality of the interior was extended the many visitors. Each woman that visited the beautiful building and grounds was presented a rose by Mr. Francis Stoddard, representative of Mr. Graham. Twelve hundred roses were cut and ready… a downtown business place will also be used to handle fresh cut flowers and plants for public patronage.” Eventually a stand alone shop was located at 405 East Main Street.
Graham Florist is an astounding success. Their slogan “Flowers of Distinction” is displayed on the side of their delivery truck, letterheads and advertising. Due to a strong demand, less than eight months of the December 1925 Graham Florist grand opening, a second identical greenhouse unit is planned. In August 1926 orders are placed with the same contractors for an additional, identical greenhouse unit. Two weeks later materials begin to arrive. By October the operation has doubled production capacity.

December 1926 marks the first anniversary of the opening of the Graham Florist. The event is described by a local reporter “The entrance to the flower shop is of colonial design and is in perfect harmony with the architecture of the service building and gives the impression of a cozy cottage which is most appropriate for a house of flowers.” He continues “The reception room is comfortable and inviting. The floor is covered with a tile effect and the room is furnished with reed furniture. As one enters the door, he is impressed with the large case containing the cut flowers giving the effect of a large framed picture… …The reception room is resplendent with colorful flowers, plants and decorative pottery of a high type. From the reception room one can look out into the greenhouses, from which one can get a birds-eye view of the gorgeous bloom that is a sight not easily forgot.”
The modern office is located behind the reception room and described as being outfitted with fine office furniture. On further back is a large well lighted floral work room. The service building basement contains the heating and cooling plants with additional storage space.


It appears the Graham Florist business thrived through the remainder of the 1920s. Two phone numbers are listed on advertisements, one for the retail shop on Main Street and one for the Maple Street greenhouse proper. Late 1929 brings the stock market crash and onset of the Great Depression. Economic conditions worldwide continue to decline into the 1930s with recovery not occurring until 1939.
With the economic climate of the depression forcing people of all walks of life to watch every penny, fresh, store bought flowers became a luxury few could now afford. In January of 1931 Mr. Graham announces Graham Florist Division of Graham Farms is exiting the retail business and is now focusing on the wholesale flower market. He closes and sells the retail location. Indications are Washington Greenhouse became the new owners of the retail flower shop. The greenhouse facilities located on the Graham estate continued to operate with listings in the local city directory until 1936. Over the years the facility was downsized and eventually shuttered. Some of the buildings remained standing until the 1970s.
Graham Florist “Flowers of Distinction” is an interesting chapter in the history of the Graham Farms. The 1930s brought great challenges to any and all businesses, this thriving business notwithstanding. Later in the decade, Graham Farms will enter into yet another venture worthy of note. A separate essay detailing that subject is currently a work in progress.


This article was compiled by Chris Palmer, Daviess County Historian.




Comments